- DSc, (geography, hydrology, hydrochemistry),
Moscow State University, 1992.
- PhD, (geography, geomorphology, palaeogeography),
Moscow State University, 1975
- MSc, (Hons) (geography, geomorphology), Moscow
State University, 1971.
Honours/distinctions/membership of societies,
- Marsden Award (2002) for research on stochastic
mechanics of soil erosion.
- Member of European Society of Soil Conservation
and Russian Academy of Water Science.
- Member of Committee on Land Use and Climate Change
Impact on the Fluvial Systems (LUCIFS), project of PAGES, IGBP.
- Developer of conceptual and mathematical models of
river channel patterns and morphology.
- Developer of mathematical models of soil erosion,
gully erosion, sediment budget in the fluvial systems, and river delta
Professional positions held
- 1990-present Leading Scientist, Geographical
Faculty, Moscow University.
- 2001-2006 Senior Erosion Modeller, Landcare
Research, New Zealand.
- 1983-1990 Head of the Laboratory of Soil Erosion
and Fluvial Processes, Faculty of Geography, Moscow University.
- 1976-1978 Scientist, Faculty of Geography, Moscow
- 1974-1976 Scientist, Pacific-Ocean Institute of
- 1971-1974 Scientist, Faculty of Geography, Moscow
- 1969-1971 Engineer, Faculty of Geography, Moscow
Present research/professional speciality
Fluvial geomorphology, erosion modelling, palaeohydrology
A., Mikhinov A. 1985. Alluvial relief morphology and dynamics. VINITI
Publ., Moscow, 164 pp.
A. 1992. River channel relief structure. Gidrometeoizdat,
Sankt-Petersburg, 126 pp.
field work results
achievements in commercial, social and environmental areas
- Developed the stochastic model of soil erosion.
Constructed physically based models of sheet, landslide, gully, stream
bank, and earth flow erosion, and associated transport of sediment to
stream networks at catchment scale.
- Extended erosion models to carbon-loss models at a
range of landscape scales to simulate for the next 20 years the
contribution of anthropogenic-induced erosion to New Zealand's national
- Developed and verified a process-based model of
gully erosion for semi-arid environments as a Visiting Fellow, CSIRO
Division of Hydrological Research.
- Conducted hydrological and channel deformation
investigations for the Nigerian Steel Development Authority to protect
the water intake on the Niger River for the steel plant in Adjaokuta
from the bank erosion and river bed aggradation.
Demonstration of relationships with end-users
- Led analysis of river channel longitudinal profile
transformation at dammed lake section for protection of Tyrnyaus town
from debris avalanche hazards for the Russian Ministry of Natural
- Environmental Expert for the Department of Federal
Ecological Expertise, Russian State Committee of Ecology Resources
(1997-2001), Russian Ministry of Natural Resources (2001-2004) and
Department of Ecological and Nuclear Expertise (2004-2007). Evaluated
potential environmental impacts of urban development, navigation, oil
and gas fields and pipelines for 31 schemes as expert, as head of
expert groups, and as head of expert commission (usually 4 expert
- Led research for the Russian Ministry of Water
Resources to recommend ways of decreasing flood hazards in the Terek
River flood protection project.
- Led Erosion and Thermo-erosion Team at the
Bovanenkovskoye gas field for the Russian Stock Company GAZPROM. The
team developed and verified erosion models for permafrost environment,
and made a prognosis on erosion hazards at the gas exploitation field
and protection of the gas transport facilities from the gully
- Led investigations of water quality in creeks and
small rivers of the Kular goldmine field for the USSR Ministry of
Mineral Resources and made recommendations to decrease pollution from
Some roman coins